This year is a little different because I'm writing to you a few days earlier than usual. This year on the eve of your birthday, we will be in Florida enjoying a Disney vacation. I knew I wouldn't want to take any time away from our family adventure, so I'm prepping your letter a few days early.
When we leave for the airport tomorrow, it's possible that we're heading out for our last family-of-four vacation. Maybe not, but as you and Ben get older, it's less likely we'll be as easily able to organize this kind of travel. You are about to turn 21 - the last real milestone year into adulthood. You'll also be graduating college in May, branching further out into your independent life. That inevitably means that things will change, and although part of me is sad about that, it's also very exciting! Things might look different, but I have no doubt that our family will still be close and still share a lot of quality time together. That being said, I'm still going to treasure this next week of adventure time with our little Tanguay unit of four.
I am excited that we get to celebrate your birthday with a special trip. You have worked so hard during your college years (and before!), and as you enter your last semester, I want you to know how proud I am of you. This past year held a lot of growth for you. You navigated heartbreak, new independence, and a re-prioritization of your goals. You travelled abroad, exploring Italy with Logan and Bella. You moved into your first apartment living situation, learning more about roommate dynamics and responsibility basics like having to clean your own bathroom, haha. You explored different professional experiences with a summer internship and your hours of practicum in the Child Development Center at Keene. You've fostered a new relationship with Jackson, being deliberate with your expectations of yourself and what kinds of balance you need. You stepped into the role of choreographer, creating a beautifully thoughtful piece for Showcase. You navigated yet another hectic set of schedules, finding time to work, study, and enjoy time with your friends. You've dedicated time to being with family, making plans to be home for important events and giving time to Brianna to help with Milo (which, I'm sure wasn't selfish at all). You've even started to solidify your plans for after graduation, signing your first real lease with an apartment building in Keene and deciding to do your first real job search in that area for next year.
Although it will be hard to have you "away from home" for another year, I'm glad that you are confident enough to get out there on your own and see what the world has waiting for you. You are very competent and I know you will work hard for what you want. I will miss you, of course, but we've mastered this 2.5 hour drive at this point and we'll figure out ways to still hang out!
I wish you the very best as you transition out of the role of student for the first time in your memory. You will embrace the freedoms and opportunities, I have no doubt. Even just having free time to read a book when you would usually have to do homework will be a big treat! I'll be happy to see how you enjoy a little more openness in your schedule - maybe you'll learn to cook, or spend more time creating. Maybe you'll go back to hiking more often. Maybe you'll find some political volunteering. Maybe you'll get a second job that's just for fun and work on saving money for your next adventure. Whatever it is that you decide to give your time to, I look forward to seeing how you grow and what new passions develop. You are an impressive young woman, and the world is lucky to have you. I know how lucky I feel to have you in my world.
Love you so much.
Mama
No comments:
Post a Comment