1.07.2026

Dear Princess Sophia,

 Tomorrow you turn ..., wait, not yet!

Tomorrow we head to Florida for a family trip and to celebrate your birthday.  Since likely we will be exhausted by the time we get back to the room the night before your birthday, we have decided (for the first time ever) to write your letters early.  We both wanted to make sure that we could have enough time to reflect on the past year and what this birthday means to us.

So, tonight is the night before our trip.  Things have been so busy that I haven't had a chance to really think about how this trip will be different, and how it could very well be the last time we have a family vacation with just the four of us. I know every year I reflect on how much has changed and how quickly life seems to be moving ahead, but this year is one of those milestone years.  Not just because you will soon be turning 21, although that is a significant age, but also because you will soon graduate college.  Already your life has become more and more independent, and for the first time ever I'm seeing the possibility of you establishing a life away from home.

Not that I haven't always known that it was possible for you to grow up and find another place to call home, or have a life opportunity that would take you away from us for a time, but I always thought I would have the time right after graduation to spend with you while you were figuring out your next steps in life.  I'm not sad that you are spending your first year after college away from home.  It was partly my idea to suggest that you spend another year in Keene, but that doesn't make it any easier to spend the time apart. I'm so proud of how you have done the work to get your first apartment and are getting ready to start looking for a job for after graduation.  You have become independent in so many ways this year (even if you wanted your daddy to go to your dentist appointment with you) and I have loved watching you take on each new challenge.

This last year has been crazy busy for both of us, and that has meant that we have not been able to spend much time together.  I understand that there will always be times when life is busy and we will struggle to find time to share, but I want to make sure that whenever things get more stable we prioritize our time together.  And if life stays busy for too long, we find a way to stay connected and maintain our relationship.  You are such an important part of my life, and I want to make sure we always prioritize our time together.

I love you, kiddo.  I'm so very proud of you.

Love always,

Daddy

No comments: