11.13.2024

Dear Ben,

Here we are again, and this time it's a really big one.  Today is the last day before you legally become an adult.  I'm sure unsurprisingly, I have very mixed feelings.  On the one hand I am always excited to celebrate your life and achievements over the past year, but on the other hand it is lately a reminder of things we will never experience together again.  

I can't help but think back to the wealth of experiences we have accumulated over the years.  About how excited you would get when you learned something interesting.  About all the times we would build things together (or you would build and I would assist), play outside, and snuggle together on the couch.  I'm so glad that I have so many memories of our experiences together!

While I might get a little nostalgic thinking of us hanging out together when you were younger, I'm also very grateful for the relationship we have now.  I love that we are continuing to spend time together talking and playing games even when you are away at college, and I love hearing about what is on your mind and about your experiences.  

I mentioned earlier about this being a milestone birthday where you become an "adult," and this is a perfect place to insert a joke at your expense, but the truth is that over the past year you have matured in so many ways that I'm a little surprised to feel like you became an adult a while ago.  Not to say that you are done cooking, and that I won't worry about you and your decisions.  I'm a parent; that worry never really goes away.  But, I worry less than I expected because of the person you are.  A part of me would love to take this opportunity to impart some deep wisdom that will serve you as you forge your path into adulthood.  The reality is that I don't have some simple statement ready that would achieve this end.  Hell, I'm still figuring this adult thing out myself!

What I will say is that you are a good person.  You care about others.  You do what is right based on your beliefs.  You are kind.  I think the only other thing a parent can hope for their child is to be happy.  I hope you are happy now with the life you are making and the one we have provided.  I hope you make decisions that will lead to even more happiness, and that your mother and I can continue to be important characters in the story that is Ben.  I hope that we continue to spend time together with our shared interests (I'm very excited to play Warhammer with you again).  And I know I've said it before, but I hope you remember to enjoy the little things.  

I love you.

Love always,

Daddy

No comments: