So tomorrow you will officially be an adult. Does this mean we have to stop talking about how you're "just a baby??" Because I'm not sure that's a promise I can keep.
Besides being hilarious, there IS truth in it. You always will be MY baby. Sometimes it's really difficult to square the tiny little guy that used to play with tractors in the yard and spoke in the sweetest little voice with the man you have become. Both are awesome - it's just hard to believe this transition has happened so quickly.
Even just last year, I worried if you were ready to leave home and head to college where you'd have so many independent responsibilities. But you are constantly surprising me with how diligent you are with your studies, how organized you are with your workload and schedule, and how thoughtful you are about the future. You will still have some stumbles and learn some lessons the hard way - that's how adulthood is - but I have such confidence that you are so very capable of figuring it all out.
Your senior year flew by, and when you graduated in June with so many honors and accolades, I was incredibly proud. We've always known you're a smart guy, and while you were recognized for your academic successes, you were also acknowledged for the ways you devoted your time to team sports, community service, and learning outside of the classroom. You were universally liked and respected, and someone teachers were always happy to have in class. You have been a dedicated employee at all your jobs, and always try hard to balance your commitments in a fair way.
Your intelligence is a gift, and while, yes, you still need to work hard, you are lucky that it often comes easier to you than others. But acting with kindness and always being willing to lend a hand when asked - those are choices you make. THAT is something to be truly proud of.
And now you are off at Orono, living your day to day on your own. I'm happy that you still call home often and keep us updated on how your first semester is going. I love getting random texts throughout the day, even when it's usually a silly video, because it keeps a connection between us. I'm glad that you know you can always reach out - if you need help, advice, someone to listen to a rant, or just a conversation to keep you entertained during your drives. Even though we'll probably never live together full-time again, at least in the way we did when you were a child, I hope you know that your father and I always want to be home for you. Our relationship will continue to adapt and grow as you get older, but there is a part of you that will always be our baby.
I look forward to watching you as you continue to grow, finding your passions and carving a place in the world that brings you fulfillment and happiness. I'm so lucky to be your mom.
Happy 18th, Ben. I love you so much.
Mama
No comments:
Post a Comment