1.11.2024

Dear Sophia,

When I think over the past year, for the first time ever there are large blocks of time that we didn't spend together.  This past fall was the first time that others instead of me got to spend time with you on evenings hanging out playing games or watching a show, weekends finding adventure, or mornings having a different kind of adventure if they try to wake you.

It has been hard for me to not be playing as big a part in your daily life, but I know how important it is for you to be having these experiences and making new friends.  You are growing daily in your independence and becoming more and more capable of achieving your future goals.  You have found a good group of friends with whom to make new memories and share new experiences, and a wonderful support group.  As much as I miss you when you are away, it is easier knowing that you are so capable and that you have your people around you, too.

I am so glad that we have set up a regular time each week to catch up on each other's lives and share experiences together.  I love hearing about your classes, the people with whom you interact, and what you do with your free time.  It is a surreal experience to hear about your time in college and think back to when I was in school.  Keep taking advantage of the time to build your own memories that you will one day think back fondly on, too.  

I hope that we always remember to take time each week to check in with each other no matter how busy life gets or where it takes us.  It has been a huge adjustment not having you around all the time, but I'm happy for you to be having all these new experiences.  I know that it is important to both of us to be a part of each other's lives, and I look forward to seeing how our relationship continues to grow as you continue into adulthood.  

I love you, kiddo!

Love always, 

Daddy

No comments: