11.13.2015
Dear Benjamin,
Whew! What a year you've had!
The biggest change, obviously, is that you are now a 4th grader, having been skipped ahead a year in school. It was a difficult decision for Daddy and me to make, and we did a lot of research and thinking about your specific situation, but ultimately we agreed with the recommendation that the move would be best for you. Just last night we had your parent-teacher conference, and the most unusual thing about it was now normal it was. Your teacher said that if she didn't know you had been moved ahead, she never would have guessed. You fit in with the class as though you were there all along. You are doing well in all subjects, as usual, and the only criticism your teacher had was that you can be too chatty with your classmates. Considering the biggest concern raised about your acceleration was the social aspect of joining a new peer group and making new friends, it's hard for me to even consider this a bad thing. You have truly found your place in this new group and you are thriving. (Although, yes, we had a talk about you showing more respect for your teacher. Obviously.)
We are so proud of you. Not just for being the super bright kid you are, and having the motivation and desire to push yourself - but for having the confidence to meet this new challenge with a smile. Your ability to adapt is impressive, and I am awed by it sometimes.
I love watching you, in any environment. I like seeing you show leadership on the soccer field, or stretch your comfort zone working on a new karate technique. I like watching you tinker with a new Lego design, or share jokes with your sister when you don't think I'm looking. Every chance I get to see your mind working and your personality growing is amazing to me. You are truly growing up into a wonderful young man, and I can't wait to see what you do in the next year.
(That said, if you want to slow down a little bit, I'm ok with that, too. I do miss my little boy sometimes.)
Happy birthday, buddy.
I love you so much,
Mama
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment