11.13.2013
Dear Benjamin,
I swear, the years are passing more and more quickly. It can't possibly be true that you are about to turn SEVEN years old.
In the past year, you have grown so much. You are such an incredibly gifted learner, and it has been a lot of fun for Daddy and me to watch you take on new challenges. One development worth mentioning is that you are truly a reader now. Watching the ways reading has opened up your world has been such a joy. Not only are you reading books (chapter books well outside your age range, for the record), but you are able to read instructions and signs and recipes and mail and all of that other daily reading that is sometimes taken for granted. I love watching you navigate the world around you, gaining more and more independence as you figure things out on your own. In this way, you remain a very thoughtful boy. You are always wondering, always working through new ideas in your head. You like to understand how things work and why the world is as it is.
Having mentioned your independence, I think it's worth repeating - you are becoming more and more independent. You have always made brave choices with your style and I couldn't be more proud of your confidence. In the spring, you asked for a mohawk - and for the last week of school and most of the summer you sported a 4-inch-tall spiked mohawk that shifted from bleach blond to bright blue to red. You also decided you wanted to have your ears pierced. Just as we did with Sophia, we made you wait awhile to know you were sure. After six months you were still adamant, so this weekend you got both of your ears pierced with small blue studs. You are looking forward to the time when you're allowed to trade them out for skull earrings. You don't hesitate when someone questions your choices, defending a boys' option to wear earrings or the reason you like blue hair. And you are now asserting your independence in new ways, like asking to walk yourself into a meeting or not needing help introducing yourself to a new coach. It is hard to not be needed in ways I have been accustomed, but it is wonderful to see you feeling comfort in yourself and your abilities and decisions.
As always, I feel so lucky to be your mother. You are an amazing little man and I am thankful every day that I have you in my life.
I love you so much.
Mama
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment