1.11.2012

Dear Sophia,


Just today, you warned me that you would be coming to wake me up tonight at midnight to announce your birthday. (Little do you know, every single year I wish you a middle-of-the-night happy birthday while you sleep.) You are very excited to be turning seven. As for me, I can't believe it; how did this past year go by so quickly?

I am always amazed at the changes in you from year to year, but the age of six seemed to be a particularly transformative one for you. The biggest change, I think, is that you learned to read. REALLY read. You had some basic reading skills for quite some time, but it wasn't until the summer after Kindergarten that you just took off. You are now reading chapter books, and you love it. You keep an entire stack of chapter books beside your bed, and you're working your way through the pile by reading independently every night before you go to sleep. Being able to read has opened up a whole new world for you. You love to read for pleasure, but you also find great pride in being able to do things like read instructions for yourself. Although I don't relish the thought of you becoming even more independent just yet, it is so satisfying to see you navigating the world with even more confidence and determination.

You remain a very thoughtful girl, and you are always working so hard to learn new things and form your own opinions. I am never more proud than when you are willing to defend your preferences to a friend or respectfully disagree with someone for what you believe. You have a strong sense of right and wrong, and I honestly trust you to make the right choices when you are faced with any sort of moral dilemma.

And most importantly (to a mom), you still like to jump into my arms for a giant hug and kiss. You are very loving, and still enjoy a good snuggle.

You remind me each and every day how privileged I am to be your mother. I love you and I am so very proud of you.

Love,
Mama

No comments: