Today was the big day of Sophia's and Ben's dance recital. They have been working all year and were so excited to finally get up on the stage and show everyone how much they've learned. Sophie's Lyrical class did a dance to "Colors of the Wind," and Ben's Preschool Dance class did a compilation of "Bongo the Clown" and "When I Grow Up I Wanna Be A Clown." Their costumes were great and both classes did so well!
I was so proud of both of our little dancers. First, Sophie has come so far from when she started at age three. She was the youngest in her class this year, and she kept up so well with the older girls. The dance was beautiful and she worked really hard to master it all. Being her third recital, she was such a pro at everything and did really well to let me spend a little more time getting Ben where he needed to be. She didn't seem very nervous, just excited. I loved watching her up there!
And Ben - wow. I was so proud of him. Considering that he initially didn't want to do dance again after last year's summer class because he didn't like the parents watching... I had no idea how he'd do at the recital. He started the class late in December, finally deciding that he really wanted to do it, and he warmed up a lot. Being in preschool helped, I think, and just being older and understanding what to expect helped, too. But still - I was a little nervous. He was amazing up there. He knew the dance so well and he really enjoyed himself. There was one little section of his dance where each dancer came to the front and did a little "trick" on a mat they had set at the front of the stage for them. The teacher hadn't shown any of this section to the parents at any of the watch days, so it was all a surprise. It was so sweet seeing each little on having their moment to shine. Ben was up last, paired with the little girl next to him... they both walked to the center, and Ben did a little "lift" with his partner, then turned to the front and did the most adorable bow I've ever seen. He got a TON of applause after that. The little boys are always so cute to watch anyhow, since there are so few of them, but he really made a special moment there. Brought tears to my eyes, that's for sure!
And most importantly, both kids had fun. They really enjoyed the year of classes and loved the recital part, too. Adam and I took them out for dinner at this fun little place in Portland called Sillys. The kids got a bunch of extra attention for being in their costumes, and they loved that, too. It was a great day for all of us!
No comments:
Post a Comment