I've been wanting to post something about Sophie's illness and hospital stay, but I am having trouble putting it together in my mind, let alone into words. To say that this experience was the most terrifying experience of my life would be both accurate and misleading. While seeing my little girl get so sick and have to go through surgery was definitely the most terrifying thing ever to happen to me, I never had the opportunity to stop and really process it.
By the time we knew how critical her situation was, we were already at the hospital and I was focused on taking care of Sophia and supporting Aimee. I didn't really have time to consider what might happen, nor do I think I would have been able to allow myself to fully appreciate the danger even had I the time.
What I do know is that I am so glad to have my family back together and starting to get back to normal. Not that I expect things will ever really be the same again. I know this experience has reinforced how I feel about my family and how important they are in my life. It has also made me appreciate all the people who helped us through this: the doctors, nurses, people who came to visit, and people who sent us cards and gifts to let us know they were thinking of us and our little angel. It also made me want to find ways to give back to others as well.
Even Ben has been affected. He is much more snugly with us and now tells us all the time how much he loves us. I know as time goes on things will get more back to normal, but this event will leave its mark on each of us in some way.
No comments:
Post a Comment