3.12.2010

a little reflection


I just came downstairs from tucking the kiddos into bed. Sophie wanted me to snuggle with her for awhile, so we spent fifteen minutes or so talking and cuddling. Which, by the way, is a fantastic way to end the day. 

Laying there, listening to her talk about her hospital experiences, and hearing her tell me she loves me over and over, made me feel so incredibly grateful to have her home safe and sound. This whole experience has been so life-changing. I can't say that it changed my priorities, but it certainly reinforced them. Being so close to losing your child makes things so very clear - what is important and what just isn't. 

I may not have made clear just how serious things were with Sophie at the beginning - because I didn't want to think about it, and because it didn't feel appropriate to share that worry with everyone. But when we were getting ready to be transported to the second hospital, and the nurse had been ordered to come with us, the EMT questioned her about why she was coming. Apparently it's uncommon for a nurse to come along on a transport like that. The nurse very quietly turned and said, "She's stable now, but she could go very fast..." I've never heard anything more sickening in my life, and in that moment I would have given anything to have my girl back at home, healthy, throwing a tantrum. Her worst moments are still beautiful and make her who she is, and I wouldn't trade a single minute of my time with her for anything. 

Having her home again, and Ben, too, is awesome. Sophie is still a pretty sick girl, but she's going to be ok now. The worry is going to stick with us for some time, and the feelings we felt over the last two weeks will never be forgotten, but believe me when I say that we are going to cherish these amazing kids like never before - because they so thoroughly deserve it.

No comments: