On the other hand, while you have taken on a more challenging workload in school this year, you have been reluctant to study more or ask for help. You are at the point in your life when the decisions you make now can have a significant impact on your first decade of adulthood. Even more than last year it is important to challenge yourself. It is a great show of maturity to decide on your own to do the things that are hard, and spend time on the things that aren't fun in order to develop the skills you need for the future.
I wish that someone had given me that advice when I was your age. I was very similar to you. I was good enough to do well without studying and without rework, and so I didn't learn those skills until much later in life. Because of that, I didn't have a clear plan for the future, or the skills to push myself to achieve my goals. I had to spend a long time in jobs that were not satisfying in order to finally develop the skills and focus to drive to what I wanted.
You are a great kid, and I strongly believe that some day you will be an amazing adult. We won't always see eye to eye throughout your life. That's ok. We can challenge each other to see the world differently and grow as individuals. Just remember that when Mama and I are giving you advice (or lecturing you on what you did wrong - which is an important part of our job as parents) that we love you fiercely, and that we just want to make sure you grow to be the person you want to be.
So, I hope you have a great birthday tomorrow, and a great year! It will be full of changes for us all, especially with you getting your license. Do me a favor. Go back and read last year's post. I think it was one of my better ones. ;-)
I love you, Ben, with everything that I am.
Love,
Daddy
PS - No drifting!
No comments:
Post a Comment