1.11.2021

Dear Princess Sophia,


I warned you last year that I might get "a little crazy" when you got your permit. I'd like to think that I have handled this huge milestone with grace and dignity. Well, maybe not, but I haven't been that bad. Right? 

Tomorrow you turn sixteen, and as I sit here at the computer thinking back over not just the past year but our entire time together I can't help feeling like I am the luckiest Daddy ever. I always wanted to be the kind of Daddy that had a special bond with his daughter. The kind of bond where we seek out opportunities to do things together. Where one of us sees a funny meme or a new epic movie coming out and can't wait to share it with the other. I always enjoy our time together - whether watching Mandalorian, having a date night at Woody's, or just driving together in the car. I am so glad that we have such a strong bond, and I want you to know that I will always work to keep our relationship strong. 

When you were a tiny baby I couldn't wait to get home from work each day so I could spend my evening snuggled in with you (often watching Gilmore Girls). I miss the times when I would hold you and dance gently with you while quietly singing you to sleep. Mercifully you were too young to realize how bad the singing was, and it was too long ago for you to remember. I miss seeing all of your "firsts" and being able to be a part of those experiences. I miss being your coach for soccer and basketball, and when you are out of school I know I will miss cheering you on from the sidelines. I miss taking karate with you, and practicing together (and I miss your help with my forms). I miss carrying you around on my shoulders and I even miss snuggling with you in bed while waiting for you to fall asleep so Mama and I could spend some time together before we passed out from exhaustion. 

There are so many great memories that I have, and I get a little sad thinking that we won't ever get that time back. But while I sit here trying to type through these tears (allergies, I assure you) I know that we have many more memories to make together. And I know that no matter where your life takes you, and how many grand adventures and new experiences you collect over the years, that a part of me will always be there with you and we will always find time for each other. 

This past year has been a challenge as we adapted to living in a pandemic. I am so proud of how well you have taken on the challenge of remote learning. I know it hasn't been a seamless process, but you have done incredibly well and you work so hard to make sure you always do your best work. While I wish you had more time to spend with your friends, I will always cherish the extra time we have had to spend together this past year. It isn't always easy having to spend all of your time together with the same people no matter how much you love them, but you have helped to keep us laughing and there is no one I would rather spend quarantine with than our family. 

You are such a kind and thoughtful person. I am so very proud of how you treat others. You are a good person, and a great friend to have.  I hope you have a very happy birthday.

Love, 

Daddy

No comments: