11.13.2020
Dear Ben,
2020 has been quite a year so far. At times the days have seemed to crawl along with nothing changing, since we have spent most of the year stuck inside away from family and friends. At other times, everything is happening now. Election night (week) was definitely now, now. It is hard to explain just how much anxiety so many people have felt over the last four years since the last Presidential election. I remember in 2008 when Obama became president. I was so proud of our country then. It seemed like we had taken such a giant step forward in how we care for one another. 2016 truly was a shock to the system.
Over the past four years as our country has demonstrated time and again how truly divided we are, I have often expressed my frustration in how terrible we can be to one another. How so many people can be influenced so easily into hating each other, and working against their own best interests for the benefit of a powerful few. While at times I have let my frustration consume me, I have tried to demonstrate to you how important it is to be informed and to be an active participant in our democracy.
I am very proud of how outspoken you have become regarding your beliefs in how our democracy should funciton. I have often been impressed in just how much you do understand about what is going on in the world around us, and how you try to be a positive influence on those around you. As you move closer to adulthood, it is vital that you continue to develop your sense of what is right and wrong, and how to think critically about information, especially when it conforms with a belief you already have and one that is emotionally charged. Our emotions and predispositions are often what others use to influence our beliefs. You have demonstrated that you can be critical of information. Don't forget how important this is. I know this can sound difficult, but there is an easy way to navigate this turbulant world. Chose kindness. You can't go wrong when you chose to be kind and understanding of others.
You have had to grow up so much this year. I am so proud of how you have stepped up to help Grandpa with his pool room. He could not have gotten so much done without your help. I have also been impressed with how much you have learned about mountain bikes this year, and you worked your butt off creating that trail this fall. I hope these examples demonstrate for you how much you can accomplish when you work hard for what you want.
In closing, 2020 has been a crazy year, and it was a crazy year to be thirteen, and to enter highschool, and to get your first job. You have experienced so much this year, and even though it was not a normal year, I believe that all these hurdles have helped to make you a stronger, more capable person. I hope you have found time to have some fun along the way. You are a good kid. Here's to a more normal 2021 and may the Schwartz be with you.
Love always,
Daddy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment