1.11.2019

Dear Sophia,


Has it really been a whole year already?

As I sit here on the eve of your 14th birthday, the thing that strikes me this year is what a wonderful friend I have found in you. Make no mistake - I am the parent and you know I make the rules, but we have also somehow found our way this year into a really comfortable friendship. We have shared interests and enjoy spending time together. When I find something that makes me laugh, my first impulse is often to share it with you. We have passed hours and hours of car rides in both laughter and companionable silence (and lots of too-loud singing). I believe that you trust me - and that while you might not want to share everything with your mother, I know that you will come to me with the important stuff. I enjoy spending time with you, and I am aware that our connection is truly special. And because of this connection, I feel like I can offer you a bit of insight and advice.

I have watched you grow and change each year, adapting to challenges set before you and striving ahead toward a bright future. You might not know exactly what you want to do and where you want to be as you head toward adulthood, but you are getting a clearer and clearer picture of WHO you want to be. Integrity is important to you, and you place a lot of value on honesty and following through with your commitments. You are a wonderful friend who is always willing to lend a hand or a send a thoughtful message. You are fun-loving, and cherish an opportunity to let loose and let your freak flag fly. You are hard-working and pride yourself in producing results that demonstrate your best effort. You are intelligent - always listening, reading, questioning, and thinking about new ideas and trying to understand the world around you. You are hilariously funny, often surprising with your quick wit or quirky observation. You are caring, and each day find small ways to show kindness to others. You are helpful, compassionate, and determined. I could go on and on listing your attributes, but I think I've made my point that you are well on your way to knowing what is important to building your character.

No matter what road you choose to follow in life, I know that you will be well-prepared. As you head toward high school next year, I have heard people ask if you "know what you want to do" yet. You might have some ideas, and I know it's nice to have an easy option or two to throw out as a quick response to those kinds of questions - but I sincerely hope you know that you don't need those answers yet. You are building skills and traits that will serve you wherever your interests take you. And I hope that you take time to explore all of those interests. You don't need to have a destination in mind just yet, but rather you need to allow yourself the time to explore. Try new things. Fail. Try again. Give up and try something else. Dabble with things that bring you joy, even if you can't imagine a practical application. I don't mean that you shouldn't stay organized and set goals, but build a life of experiences and passions, even if that means you take a detour or two.

And know that when you need help, or encouragement, or a hug, or a smile to keep you going - I am always here for you.

I love you.

Mama

No comments: