1.11.2017
Dear Sophia,
Tonight while I am writing this letter, rather than being tucked in upstairs, you are still at the dance studio. Soon I will pick you up, you will bustle around readying yourself for tomorrow, and then head to bed. You will wake up as a TWELVE year old, which seems impossible to me, and then you will go about your day. You have settled in nicely to your new routine as a middle schooler, and you enjoy keeping busy. You spend about 12 hours each week at the dance studio, having finally settled on an activity you feel passion for and to which you want to devote greater focus. You have taken on more classes, more time working as an assistant, and even asked to learn a solo this year. I know it was hard for you to let other interests go in order to make room for the time you need for dance, but you worked to find a good balance and certainly haven't given up everything. You still enjoyed a fierce soccer season this fall, continue to practice karate, and picked up Student Council and Newspaper from the new after-school offerings. You're working hard in school, earnings honors and high honors in all of your courses, and you enjoy all of the enrichment offered by the G/T program.
BUT, having said all that - the thing I am most proud of is not your accomplishments or your impressive roster of commitments, but rather your attitude. You approach every day with a smile, and you are confident without being arrogant. You have a true desire to learn and improve, and you're proud to behave as an example to others. You have a deep well of kindness within you, and you often think of small ways you can brighten someone else's day - whether it be offering to make me a cup of tea, sharing a snack at school, or posting a note of appreciation to one of your friends. You aren't perfect, and you have days when you're tired, or cranky, or running behind and feeling badly about yourself. But you try to let these moments be the exception. You do your best to find your way through the rough days with a lesson learned, and come back smiling the next day.
And best of all, you still like hanging out with me! You like it when I drive you to school, cranking the tunes and dancing along with the best songs. You like to cuddle and read on the couch, go out for "girl dates" together, and just chat about your day when you get home from school. I hope you continue wanting to share parts of your life with me, and know that I will always be here for you whenever you need me.
As always, I am incredibly proud of you. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching you grow during the past year, and look forward to seeing what this next year will bring! Happy 12th, my sweet girl.
Love,
Mama
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment