11.13.2016
Dear Benjamin,
Last week, our country elected a new president. It would be laughably understated to say that this election cycle was contentious, and your impressionable mind was exposed to a lot of hateful language, a lot of loud, bullying arguments, and a lot of scare tactics disguised as truths. It was a hard time to be a parent, and we had many challenging conversations about what we should expect from our leaders and what we should all expect from each other as citizens.
I realize this might seem like a strange topic to kick off your birthday letter, but it was while watching you process these campaigns and political conversations that I realized just how mature you have become. I was proud of your interest, asking questions about things you had heard at school and wanting more information about issues that concerned you. I was impressed when you asked to stay up late to watch the last debate, having heard us talk about the others. And my heart broke for you when, the morning after the election, you cried into my arms when I gave you the news that our candidate had lost the race.
Although you can be goofy and wild, sometimes stubborn and impulsive, at your core you are a thoughtful and caring young man. Your compassion for others often surpasses your years, and I appreciated watching you work through your opinions while trying to understand different sides of an issue. I was proud of your outrage when you heard discriminatory language, and I was inspired when you wanted to try to change the minds of those with whom you didn't agree.
You are growing up, buddy - no question about that. I get nervous about the world you are going to inherit, but then I think about your passion and intelligence and I hope that there are lots more like you in the coming generation. I know that you will continue to think about the big picture and to ask the hard questions. And I couldn't be more proud.
I love you so much.
Mama
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment