1.11.2016
Dear Sophia,
Last year for your birthday, Daddy and I agreed to let you adopt a cat. We visited several shelters, and you found the perfect kitty and named her Hermione after your favorite literary tough girl. You had begged for a long while and insisted that you would do everything to take care of your pet if we would allow it. I know you had the best intentions and were excited to prove yourself, but I did wonder how long it would take for the shiny new cat smell to wear off, leaving me with the job of caring for Hermione. Nearly a full year later, I can attest that you are an incredibly faithful pet owner. You play with her and snuggle her, giving her as much love as she could want. But you also feed her, and scoop her litter box every single day without a reminder. You haven't shied away from the less glamorous parts of pet parenting, and it's a real demonstration of your maturity and sense of responsibility.
I try to tell you every day how proud I am of you - but let me take this opportunity to dwell. I think you are amazing. You have become so diligent, developing routines and expectations for yourself that keep you organized and on top of your many activities. You are genuinely funny and have a wonderfully goofy sense of humor, but you know when to take things seriously. You take pride in setting goals and pushing yourself to meet them. You are a wonderful student. We only ever hear the most complimentary feedback from your teachers, and you hold yourself accountable for anything that is asked of you. You are caring, and when you offer your help or wish someone well, it is always with total sincerity. In short, you are really growing up.
When you were born, I spent hours starting at your sweet face staring up from that pink swaddle. I could never have imagined what you would be like eleven years later - but I think if I'd tried, if I'd let myself hope for the coolest, sweetest, and most straight-up awesome daughter I could imagine... it would be exactly what you've turned out to be.
I love you so much.
Happy birthday.
Mama
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment