1.11.2015

Dear Sophia,


Happy almost-birthday my sweet girl!

I just finished re-reading my letter to you from last year, and I am amazed at what a different place we find ourselves this year. I can clearly remember the struggles we faced together, often arguing and having difficulties seeing eye to eye on some of the simplest day-to-day things - and yet, it's hard for me to imagine that you were that child once. You have matured in some really incredible ways and I can't imagine being more proud of you.

I can't pretend that we don't still have moments of disagreement, or that you are some kind of perfect robot child. Of course there are small moments of anger or disappointment, yours and mine, but the way you have grown to show your respect and understanding in these situations is remarkable. You have learned the value of communication, rather than jumping quickly to react. You take your time to consider the feelings of others. You actively work toward compromise and are genuinely happy when you find ways to make someone else happy.

I tell you often just how proud I am of you and of the incredibly thoughtful person you are becoming - but let me say it again. You are amazing. I am in awe of how graciously you are approaching your preteen years and I am absolutely loving being your mother right now. Of course I am always proud of you, and will always love having you as my daughter, but I am realistic that our relationship will face more challenges. Right now I am just reveling in the ease of parenting you. I promise you that there are few other parents of girls your age who would call the experience delightful - but that is exactly the word I would chose. You are a true delight to me. I love watching you grow, looking for more responsibility and asserting more independence, but I am so proud of the way you have managed to do it with so much respect and kindness.

I love you so very much.
Mama

No comments: