The past year has been an incredible journey for you. Shortly after your last birthday, you got dangerously sick and spent eleven days in the hospital. You were amazingly strong and your spirit was inspiring; even though you spent the better part of two months ill or recovering, you managed to put smiles on our faces even on the worst days.
As summer approached and you were back in full health, you spent months just running in the yard, enjoying your bike (which you successfully mastered without training wheels), playing with friends, and simply enjoying life the way a carefree child should. Some of my favorite moments from this year have been sitting back and watching you as you lose yourself in moments of fun and laughter.
When fall came and school started, your excitement never let up. You were so proud to be in kindergarten and have loved every minute of it. You have made new friends and learned a lot. You have learned to navigate the big school and all the routines on your own. Having never really been away from you, this was a big adjustment for me. As your Mama, I wanted to help you. Even when I knew you didn't need my help, I still wished I could be there just to watch you on your new adventure. But of course, you've had to do this on your own and I've loved hearing all of your stories when you come home each afternoon. I miss you when you are at school, but I love seeing you grow more independent and confident. Even though you have a feisty side that comes out at home now and then, you demonstrate wonderful behavior at school. You are always happy to meet new friends, taking the initiative to introduce yourself and invite them to play with you, and are thoughtful and helpful to the friends you already have.
You have also never forgotten your brother throughout all of the changes. You are excited to see him each afternoon, and often take the time to share with him some of the new things you are learning. He looks up to you a great deal, and it warms my heart that the two of you are still such close friends.
It is hard to believe that when you wake up tomorrow morning, you will be six years old. I can so clearly remember holding you as a tiny pink bundle when you were first born - but as I tucked you into bed tonight, I was amazed at how much you have changed in just six years.
I am so proud of you, Sophia Mae, and I love you very much.
Love,
Mama
No comments:
Post a Comment