Benjamin has his first ear infections of the season. For the past two nights he was waking up frequently, upset or even crying, talking about crazy stories and we assumed he was having nightmares. I asked him over and over if his tummy hurt or if he felt sick, but mainly talking about what his dream had been about - since that's what seemed was bothering him. It never occurred to me that it was his ears, since he never mentioned anything hurting.
This morning, though, he woke up and said, "Mama! Something's wrong - I can't hear!" His poor little ears were stuffy and finally he said that he was feeling pain. I knew immediately that he had an ear infection and we called the doctor's office for an appointment first thing. Looking back, when he got his first ear infection last year, he acted the same exact way - a night or two of trouble sleeping without ever saying what was bothering him, until finally trouble hearing let us know what the problem was. I guess he has a pretty high pain tolerance and it doesn't register with him until it gets worse.
Anyhow, sure enough he has a double ear infection and is on antibiotics for the next 10 days. He hasn't complained much of pain today, but we'll certainly be giving him some Tylenol before bed to see if that helps him sleep better until the antibiotics have time to really kick in. Poor little guy.
No comments:
Post a Comment