That being said, when I think back to the past 365 days, we certainly filled many of those days with memories. Some of those memories, like our time spent hanging out and talking together, I will cherish forever. Others, like the VR4 debacle ... well, at least maybe we learned some life lessons!
I know things have been busy over the past year, with my work travel ramping up, Sophie graduating and heading to college, and so many other things as well. I have really tried to make sure that we are getting quality time together, and I hope you feel we have succeeded. It was about a year ago that we started attending martial arts again. I know you have had to take breaks due to sports and other activities, but I really enjoyed having an activity that was just for us, and gave us time alone to talk and catch up while we drove there and back. We have also spent a bunch of time over the past year playing Gloomhaven together. I am so glad that we discovered that game - not just because I love to play it with you, but also because it has helped us spend so much more time hanging out together.
Even the dreaded VR4 incident provided memories that I'm sure I will eventually look back upon fondly (a long, long time from now). It was fun dreaming with you, and I got really excited that we may have found such a cool car to experience together. Even though it didn't work out, it did provide some (very expensive) lessons to us both. We learned how to better understand our limits, and the limits of our knowledge. I know I learned an important lesson in how much risk I am really comfortable taking when it comes to investments. And don't forget Jon. He provided all kinds of sage advice while we hung around his shop.
In all, I would say we had a pretty incredible year! I have so many memories from this past year that I will cherish (last soccer season, last start of a new school year at home - there are just so many!) and I'm sure this next year will be no different. I'm really enjoying discovering the person you are becoming, and I am so grateful to have you not only as my son, but as my friend as well. I hope this past year has left you with as many happy memories as it has left me (and as many lessons as well). I love you so much!
Love always,
Daddy
No comments:
Post a Comment