1.11.2022

Dear Sophia,

Here we are on the eve of another birthday we can't celebrate the way we'd like.  Covid cases are surging and we've just about lost track of the times you've been close-contacted in the last week.  Thankfully you remain healthy, but throwing a party or having some big outing with your friends just isn't in the cards right now.  I appreciate how understanding you are, and that you want to do the right thing to keep everyone safe, but that doesn't make it suck any less.

Despite the feeling that we've gone a bit backward in the last month or two, there was a good section of the last year that felt almost normal again.  You returned to in-person school, had dance competitions and recital, got your license and first car, took trips with friends, worked your first real job, played a full soccer season, and we enjoyed several family vacations exploring new parts of our home state.  This pandemic put a pause on many activities, but we did all we could to make the best of the weird circumstances. 

I am so proud of how you've weathered it all.  You've had your share of disappointments and frustrations, but you've kept your spirits up and shown such maturity.  It hasn't been easy, but you are strong and you are thoughtful and you've kept a wise perspective at times when others might have given in to despair.  I have no doubt that these years of adversity have shaped you in ways that will be with you forever.  You are willing to sacrifice for the greater good, to stand up for what you know is right, and you have learned to appreciate the most simple moments of joy and friendship whenever you find them.

After a year of difficult schooling, stressful social navigation, and just being stuck at home together more than usual, not all teenagers are big fans of their parents right now.  You and I have always shared a bond that goes deeper than most mother-daughter relationships.  We have built trust and respect, and we have fostered a beautiful friendship.  I'm aware that we won't always see eye to eye, but I believe we will always have something really special.  Our whole little family of four is exceptional in the closeness we share, and I have been reminded time and time again how lucky we have been to go through this time of unease and uncertainty together.  I love you all immensely, and I hope we all remember to appreciate each other always.  

I wish you the very best in the next year.  I hope it is full of music and laughter and gatherings and adventures and all of the things you love most.  You deserve it.

I love you so much.

Mama

No comments: