1.11.2020
Dear Sophia,
Tomorrow, you will officially be fifteen years old. Currently I am listening to the havoc of a dozen teenagers - high schoolers! - celebrating your birthday in our basement. You have formed a great group of friends, and the quality of your friendships speak to both your character and your values. You have friends to sit with in the lunchroom, friends to ask for help, friends to enjoy outings with, friends I assume you could even commiserate with when your parents are being awful (not that you've ever had to test that theory, I'm sure). Your squad is inclusive, kind, and supportive. There are times when you might be a little closer to this one, or a little annoyed with that one, but overall you have surrounded yourself with people you can trust and to whom you have proven your own trustworthiness. You are a steadfast friend who is always ready to help with words or actions, and that quality is going to be invaluable through your entire life.
All of this to say, you are a good friend because you are a good person. I will always worry about you... that's my job as your mother. But honestly, you give me very little to worry about. I hear concerns from other moms-of-teens, and I can rarely relate. You have proven your integrity, and you care about the important things. You will make mistakes, sure; that's all part of growing up and figuring how to operate in this world. But I feel confident that you will always do your best to make things right if you go astray. You understand responsibility and you care about others - and those two things will always help lead you to the right decisions.
You have taken this year of big transition - high school! - in stride. You've managed your advanced classes and your busy dance schedule and even balanced your first season of high school soccer with ease. There were a few hectic afternoons here and there, but you have organized and prioritized and continue to navigate this new phase with grace.
And lastly, you continue to be a good daughter and sister. You have your own social life and you've always got a LOT going on, but you haven't forgotten the importance of family. You still enjoy a good couch cuddle Netflix marathon, and you still talk our ears off in the car, keeping us updated and involved in what's happening in your life. We know that you are a rare breed of teen, and we are greatly appreciative. You make us so proud.
I love you so much,
Mama
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment