1.11.2018
Dear Sophia,
Thirteen. THIRTEEN. WHAT?!?
Tomorrow morning, there will be a teenager in the house. It's nearly impossible for me to reconcile the image of the tiny, pink bundle that wanted to be awake and cuddled at all hours of the night with the current you, who moans at her alarm and handles her routine so independently.
You are certainly a far cry from the baby I so clearly remember. People often comment on your maturity; you are gracious with teachers and other adults, and manage to remain drama-free in your friendships. You care about the feelings of others, and you try your best to think about the consequences of your actions. Sure, you're learning. You have your moments of moodiness, overconfidence or self-absorption, but that's all part of growing into yourself. You are always quick to correct if you realize you've gone too far or if you've hurt someone. I can't say I'm never frustrated with you, but I am far more often impressed with your poise, consideration, and drive.
You expect a lot from yourself, and you work hard. You're now spending at least 15 hours a week at the dance studio, taking classes and helping as a teaching assistant. You often use the dinner break time you have in your schedule to work in an empty studio, fitting even more practice time into your week. You were fitted for your first pair of pointe shoes this spring, and you're so enthusiastic you don't even complain about how sore your feet must be. You love dancing, you love your teammates and your teachers, and you love performing. In pursuit of even more dance education, you left the comfort of your home studio and took a week of ballet intensive at MSB over the summer, as well as dancing for your fourth year in their production of The Nutcracker. Your dedication is something to behold. And beside the commitment you have made to your passion, you've still chosen to continue your karate training, joined the school soccer team, and participate in Student Council. Amid all this activity, you earned high honors in every subject during your first trimester of seventh grade, were named as a student of the month, and learned that you won the local DAR essay competition for the third year in a row. You are careful and deliberate with your schedule, making sure that you have the time and energy to meet your commitments. Yes, there have been tight weeks and a few tired mornings, but you have worked to find a balance that is comfortable for you.
Frankly, I'm often in awe. I have no doubt that you can and will excel at anything you put your mind to. I am so excited to see where your interests and aspirations will lead you. And while you are tackling this great big world, I hope you always remember to enjoy the journey. Hard work and serious dedication are important, but only if it brings you happiness. During the spring recital, I was brought to tears seeing the pure joy on your face as you performed. Number after number, your pride and delight shone in your smile. Yes, you had spent hours in rigorous training, nursing sore muscles - but the payoff was so clearly worth it. Keep chasing your dreams, but be sure you're still having fun along the way!
I love you so very much, kiddo. I am proud beyond words (although I seem to have used many), and I am so grateful to have you in my life.
Love,
Mama
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment