11.13.2017

Dear Ben,


I knew it. I'm surrounded by As......

Tomorrow you turn eleven, and I have to say it has been quite a year. You started middle school this year. I know, right?! Who said that was OK? You seem to be adjusting pretty well, which is more than I can say for your Daddy. Seriously though, the only real issue I have about you in school is your teachers say that sometimes you forget you are a good little boy and become a crazy puppy. Oh, that and you are a bit lazy with your writing. Otherwise, though, they seem to enjoy having you in class. I know you will learn to control yourself and years from now we will read this letter and laugh. Hopefully we don't need to send you to obedience school first. ;-)

This past year you have finally gotten old enough (according to your Dad's very scientific standard I assure you) to watch some of my favorite comedy movies. It has been really fun to hear you drop an appropriate quote from Spaceballs. Really, that movie has a quote for every situation. Your sense of humor and comedic timing continue to develop, and I have to admit that you may be funnier even than me (let's take a moment to appreciate the patience and understanding of your future spouse and kids). I love to spend time hanging out with you.

As your Daddy I would happily support your hobbies and would do my best to be interested in whatever you have to say about them, but I have to admit I am relieved we have so much in common. You have continued to grown and expand your interest in all things science and math. I enjoy being able to watch you make new discoveries and get excited to share your knowledge. This past year you spend your first week away from home, and it was at a camp for science and math. Ten year old me was so jealous! Mama and I were nervous for you since you had not been away from home like this before, but you did great. You were ready for us to leave (maybe a bit too soon) and had a great time, but you were also excited to see us when we picked you up at the end of the week. I'm so glad you had fun and want to do it again next year.

So, in closing, as you continue this year to grow into the person you will someday be, make sure to keep nurturing your sense of humor, your compassion for others, and remember - they don't let puppies into MSSM. ;-)

I love you, buddy!

Love,

Daddy

No comments: