Ben is officially in a real bed! He has been in a toddler bed and his room is so small that it fit well and we were happy to let him stay that way as long as he was comfortable. A couple months ago, I looked at hims sleeping and realized how big he was in that bed. He never mentioned his bed or complained about it being too small, but as soon as I said something about it he agreed that he would like a bigger one.
So we started looking around for a simple twin bed frame. We looked EVERYWHERE. But I just couldn't find exactly what I had in mind. We ended up buying a twin mattress, but never finding the right bed frame - so he's been sleeping with his mattress on the floor since then. With the size of his room, I wanted something pretty basic and low-profile. Finally I found some plans online and decided to build the bed myself. This past week, Ben and I went out and bought the materials and I've been working on it. We moved his mattress to Sophie's floor while I'm building, so they've been having a few fun nights of sleepovers until I was finished.
I ended up going with a platform style and painting it dark brown to go with the bedding that Ben chose. While it does take up a good chunk of the empty floor space he'd had before, it doesn't make the room look overly crowded like I'd worried. With the playroom downstairs, he doesn't keep much in his room anyhow, so I think it looks ok. And best of all, Ben loves it. He feels pretty special to have a brand new bed, and I think he really enjoyed watching it all come together.
Here he is all settled in for his first night in the new bed. Sophie wanted to try it out, too, so they're testing it out together. They're so cute!
No comments:
Post a Comment