8.11.2010

Watch Day


Today was the last day of summer dance classes, so the parents were invited to watch and see how the kiddos have progressed over the session. I love these days and have been really looking forward to seeing both Sophie and Ben. Ben's class was first, and it was pretty adorable. I definitely saw a difference between now and the first class eight weeks ago. He was following directions better, and obviously he had learned quite a bit. He did all of the exercises and knew the routines they had been working on. He seemed like he was having a lot of fun, although later he did mention that he didn't like all of the parents watching. I think it made him nervous.
     

Sophie's class was next, and I was totally blown away by the change in her over the summer. I had been anxious to see the difference between this class, being her first real ballet class, and the preschool level she'd been taking before. The age group was older, and the class was treated a little more seriously, I think. Sophie was very impressive - she really knew her stuff, and she was always the first to answer a question or demonstrate a move when the teacher asked. She definitely learned a lot. And she was loving it - I could tell how proud she was of herself and how much fun she was having. 


After class, I talked with Sophie's teacher about the fall schedule. There is one class Sophie is interested in (that also meets our time needs best) called "Lyrical," which is a mix of modern, jazz and ballet. It is listed for dancers ages 6-10, so I wasn't sure if they would allow Sophie to sign up. Chelsea was more than willing to let her try it, though - she said Sophie has had enough experience dancing with them and is capable of that level. Of course, if Sophie ever feels like it's too challenging, we can switch her to something else - but I think she's really going to like it. She was very excited when I told her she'd be allowed to sign up. I can't wait to see what this next year will bring! Ben hasn't decided if he wants to take a full year class yet, but I'm glad that he was able to try it out.

No comments: