3.31.2010

Shark teeth


We discovered the strangest thing while brushing teeth tonight. Sophie mentioned that her bottom front teeth felt a little loose (the dentist had said they were a starting to loosen at her last appointment, but it wasn't really enough for us to tell yet)... so I went to give them a wiggle... and saw that her adult teeth have already started coming through!
   

The one on her left is clearly visible, and the one on her right has only just broken through the gums. Oddly, this same thing happened to a friend's daughter just a couple of months ago, and I learned then that it is actually fairly common. I think I would have freaked out if I hadn't heard of it before I saw Sophie's teeth. Apparently those first bottom front teeth sometimes come in so quickly that the roots on the baby teeth don't have enough time to dissolve as would usually happen. In that case, the adult teeth simply take the path of least resistance and pop through behind the baby teeth. Once the baby teeth are out, the adult teeth will shift forward into their regular spots. 

Sophie is thrilled to have loose teeth. She's wiggling them all the time and can't wait for them to fall out. I wonder how long it will be...

No comments: